Why a go-go? It just felt right. :)
So I guess it turned out more of a tote than a purse… but anywhoo… here’s the finished product. As mentioned, I made this one for a friend from one of her boyfriend’s old flight suits. She gave me a couple of flight suits to play around with, and picked out the blue zebra duck cloth from Hobby Lobby for the lining. Now I just have to get it into the mail. I hope she likes it!
My favorite part is the front pockets… all still functional, I just cut out the old fabric and added another layer of the lining so it shows in the pockets too. :)
The inside pockets were all stolen from the pant legs. I sewed the two big pockets together then onto the lining only along the outside and one line up the middle so they are more like double pockets.
I really liked the examples I saw with the strap coming around from the back to the front, so I ended up just cutting/sewing around it, then sewing around the side and adding velcro to attach it to the front once all the sides were sewn together. And the side patches I definitely had to remove and reattach; they were too close to the shoulder seam on the original flight suit.
I used instruction and inspiration from here for the bag construction, but for sizing just made it up as I went along. :/ For the lining, I just traced the size from the front pieces, and topstitched it to finish. The lining seams don’t line up exactly, but it’s close enough :)
Here’s the making of (or some of it anyway… I guess I got tired of taking pictures about half-way through and stopped… oh well) :)
I didn’t end up using that little pocket. :/ I wanted to, just didn’t find the right place to put it.
Happy Hump Day!
Until next time,