Seven Dwarf Costumes – Part Three
Also, a fun word that I learned in the process of making these: armscye aka the armhole, refers to the opening to which the sleeve is sewn. Who knew!? (well, probably a lot of people… but not me!)
So here’s my makeshift pattern (not to scale) and process. Each tunic used approximately 3 yards of fabric; some a little more some a little less depending on the size. For Dopey’s tunic, it ended up taking a full 5 yards of fabric. I used solid flannel for 5 of the tunics and broadcloth for the other 2.
STEP ONE: GET MEASUREMENTS
Here are the measurements I took from each individual for the tunics:
- Length from neck to knee (or however long they wanted the tunic)
- Shoulder width
- Arm length (shoulder to wrist)
- Abdominal circumference (I used this both for the belt and the tunic)
STEP TWO: MAKE PATTERN AND CUT FABRIC
Note: I only ended up needed to make one pattern to go along with the smallest measurements… from there, I cut the paper in half and used the same pattern but adjusted to meet the size of each person’s tunic. I cut the back piece first, then used it as a pattern for the front, adding a few inches to each front piece (I’m sure there would’ve been an easier way to do this if I had cut on a fold… but this is what I did) :)
STEP THREE: PUT PIECES TOGETHER AND SEW BOTH SHOULDER SEAMS
STEP FOUR: CUT AND ATTACH SLEEVES
I measured and cut the sleeves right from each tunic, then used this tutorial to assist with attaching them to each armscye.
STEP FIVE: SEW AND HEM
I first sewed one long seam along the arm and down the side of the tunic, then turned it right-side out and hemmed each raw edge (fold, press, fold, press, sew) to make it look more finished.
STEP SIX: HIDDEN BUTTONS!
Lastly, I wanted big, fun buttons but didn’t want to buy big, fun buttons. So I printed big buttons onto iron-on transfer paper, transferred each to the same fabric as the tunic and cut around each button. From there, I made hidden buttons by sewing the buttonhole — then sewing the fake button over the buttonhole — then sewing regular, smaller buttons on the other side of the tunic. Because of the fun nature of these costumes, I think it worked out perfectly.
The hats were pretty simple. I used old t-shirts for most of them. I basically just cut two pieces of fabric in this approximate shape, sewed the edges and hemmed the bottom:
For Dopey’s neckline, I made a detached piece in case it got too hot (since his whole costume was very over-sized). It was basically just a small infinity scarf – actually, that was my inspiration to make my own infinity scarf – I tried on Dopey’s neckline and almost kept it for myself! :)
Here are the finished products (and my last post has the whole gang together):